Applications are open for the Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship 2021/2022. The Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships are for candidates from eligible lower and upper middle-income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university.
Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK. These scholarships are offered under six development themes:
See Also: World Bank Internship Program 2021
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
Each scholarship provides: See Also: AWS Africa Startup: Women Founded & Led Startups Program 2021
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed);
- Approved tuition fees;
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,116 per month, or £1,369 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels);
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable;
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable;
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas;
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £480 per month for the first child, and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels);
- If you declare a disability, a full assessment of your needs and eligibility for additional financial support will be offered by the CSC.
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person.
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2021.
- By September 2021, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study.
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2021.
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format.
- Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the plan of study
- The potential impact on the development of the candidate’s home country
You must apply to one of the following nominating bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships:
National nominating agencies – this is the main route of application
Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies.
See Also: How Technology Became Indispensable
Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process and may have additional eligibility criteria. You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, their own eligibility criteria, and their own closing date for applications.
For more information visit the official webpage of Commonwealth Scholarship
CHECK HERE for more scholarships opportunities
Bukola Owo-Bello is a spirited storyteller, content creator and YouTuber who loves sharing amazing opportunities, inspiration, and ideas with forward-thinking African youths.
Follow her on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram on @BukkiTalks